Whiles in Bolgatanga on my backpacking trip, i
spent some time at the arts and crafts village to view some of the amazing hand
woven artifacts the craftsmen have made. Whiles perusing the stores (purchasing
a craft was not in mind). i came to one shop and saw a nice little xylophone i couldn’t take my eyes off. I
therefore asked of its price from the shop
attendant who told me it cost 20 cedis (about $10) but she was not really sure of the price. She claimed she was watching the shop whiles the
owner is away for a funeral so i should come the following day. When she
requested i come the following day, i was quite happy because i felt i was ready to buy it on impulse.
But back at the guest house, i couldn’t get this
xylophone off my mind so early the
following morning armed with 20 cedis in my pocket, i marched straight to the
crafts store. Upon arrival i didn’t meet the attendant but rather a guy with
dreadlocks. After the usual pleasantries i informed him of why i was there and
he said he was informed of my coming to the shop and yes the she lady i met
yesterday quoted the correct price.
So I defied all my backpacking rules that is
- Buying a xylophone is not part of the budget
- This was going to be “extra excess” luggage (emphasis on extra and excess because for the time i started backpacking i was already carrying this huge sweater which I wasn’t wearing)
- I had a few destinations and tourist sites to go
I still broke the rules and bought the
xylophone anyway. Mr Dreadlocks went ahead to tie a few strings on the
xylophone and tune it properly. After that he played a wonderful tune on
the xylophone. That was when it occurred to me i didn’t even
know how to play a xylophone.So I panicked and informed him
how i was eager to buy a xylophone but didn’t know how to play it. He said
"that’s the nice things about xylophones you learn how to play it by creating your own tunes. Very much like life, you have to dance to your own rhythm"This statement reminded me of a blog post i wrote a few days ago about how not talent but hard work will make me successful. I smiled
No comments :
Post a Comment